Tuesday, June 19, 2012

a very lovely engagement [& dinner]

We got the head's-up from Kelly's boyfriend Kyle that Saturday was The Day. As soon as they left the house for their day-date, Katie, Blair and I threw together the fastest Congrats Party you've ever seen. With a handful of close friends and family on stand-by, Katie ran to Publix to get a cake, Blair made house calls tracking down a couple guests we couldn't reach by phone, and I set up the house.

By 3pm, we were all sitting around, waiting for a call. Finally, Kelly's friends' phones started ringing, and we knew they were headed home...

we got her good



Katie and Max, excited

Bruce, notsomuch

champagne wishes


telling the story

showing off the ring

Congrats Kelly and Kyle!

My dad was working while all this was going on, so we had him over for dinner a little while later. On the menu were celebratory mussels in tomato sauce, and spinach artichoke dip. THIS was everyone's favorite dinner so far. I wish I could tell you what I did differently to make this my best red sauce to date, but I just kept tasting and tweaking. I used red pepper flakes, fresh basil, two cans of tomato sauce and one can of whole stewed tomatoes. When everything was almost ready, I tossed in the mussels and put the lid on.





The artichoke dip is my mom's recipe:

1c mayo (or greek yogurt)
1c garlic parmesan cheese
1 can artichoke hearts
bake for 20 minutes at 375

I didn't have garlic parmesan, so I added a spoonful or so of minced garlic. I also added a handful of spinach, which turned out to be a good call.






No comments:

Post a Comment